Join us to celebrate KIPAC's 20th anniversary! This event will take the form of an astronomy festival, featuring numerous stations of live demonstrations, experiments, and hands-on activities. A series of mini science lectures will also be running in parallel, introducing the latest discoveries made by KIPAC in the field of astronomy.
This event is free, open to all, and especially kids- and family-friendly! While walk-ins are also welcome, registration is strongly encouraged and we will provide KIPAC giveaways for groups who have registered to attend this event. Please see below for a detailed program.
Hands-on activities & live experiments:
- Making Your Own Pulsar
- Cooking A Comet
- Gravity Simulator
- Light & Spectroscopy
- Experimenting with UV-sensitive Beads
- IR Camera
- Vera Rubin Observatory Space Surveyors Game
- Astro Magnetism
- Solar S'mores
- Ruben's Tube
- Cloud Chamber
- Gravitational Lensing
- Van der Graaff Generators
- Laser Diffraction
- Detecting Dark Matter Particles
- An Inside Look Into Telescopes
- Astro Visualization
- Solar Viewing
- Ask an Astrophysicist Anything!
Mini Lectures (suitable for middle-school students and above):
- 1:30-2pm: Supermassive Black Holes and How We Find Them (Merry Powell)
- 2-2:30pm: Measuring the Unseen Universe with Strong Gravitational Lenses (Sebastian Wagner-Carena)
- 2:30-3pm: The Loneliest Galaxies in the Universe (Mia de los Reyes)
- 3-3:30pm: The Very First Stars in Our Universe (Tom Abel)
- 3:30-4pm: Shining Light on Dark Matter (Chiara Salemi)
- 4-4:30pm [Keynote lecture]: Learning About Dark Matter From the Tiniest Galaxies in the Universe (Risa Wechsler)
This event will take place in the Science & Engineering Quad courtyards and the Hewlett Teaching Center (370 Jane Stanford Way) on the Stanford campus. If you have registered, please check in at the information booth upon arrival to receive your KIPAC giveaways.
The closest visitor parking is in the Via Ortega Garage and the Roble Field Garage. All parking is free in spaces marked Visitor, A, or C during weekends unless indicated otherwise. Accessible parking is also available in the above garages.